Getting Involved

As I've said before, it can get pretty lonely and a little boring here being stuck in my small apartment without a car, so I'm grateful that Trinity gives me many opportunities to get involved in different activities even though I'm not a student. Obviously, in medical school, studying is very important, but taking time for recreation is also important to avoid getting completely burnt out. There are many opportunities for recreation here. We have an open-air gym, and different students teach fitness classes a few times a week. On Saturdays, my friend Taylar teaches a cross fit class. It's always a killer workout and a fun time, even though we are all tired, sore, and drenched in sweat after. If anyone has done cross fit before, you know how challenging it can be, but picture yourself doing it in 80 degree Caribbean heat. On Tuesday evenings we just started doing a metabolic acceleration class. We had a good turnout, and it was a fun time. On Thursday evenings, there is a Zumba class, but I haven't gone to that yet. I haven't gone to the MMA class either, but they have one on Friday evenings. Throughout the week, there are also different sports to play, such as basketball, soccer, street hockey, and volleyball. Every Friday night, Luke and I are able to play sand volleyball, and Luke plays street hockey on the basketball court. Once a term there is a volleyball tournament and a hockey tournament. You have to make a donation of money or food to play in the tournament, so they are charitable events as well. Last term, Luke's team won both the hockey tournament and the volleyball tournament. He's so talented! I was able to play on his team for the volleyball tournament, and it was so fun! We had a great team, and even though we tend to lose early on in the double elimination and have to take the long road to the championship, last term we improved our second place finish by becoming the champions. As always, it felt pretty great to win.










The Champions


Even though I don't play hockey, I enjoy watching Luke play in the tournament. He is so good at hockey, and it still amazes me how well he plays. He started playing ice hockey when he was four years old, so even though playing hockey on the basketball court is different, he is still amazing at it.








The Champions

Another area that I was able to get involved in was our recent visit to the orphanage. There is a club on campus called Kid Companions, and about three times each term they visit the kids at the orphanage. This term, it finally worked out for Luke and I to be able to go to the orphanage. The school's blog has a post about it, so if you are interested in reading more, click here. We had a wonderful time visiting the children. This visit was the meet and greet, where we help the kids make nametags and just play and hang out with them for the day. The club leaders asked me to take photos, which is something I enjoy. I also was able to play with the kids when I wasn't snapping photos. I rode the seesaw with a sweet girl, and a little boy was shocked and pleased when he threw a little football really quickly at me, and I caught it. I guess I passed the test because I was allowed to play catch with him and some of the other boys. The children were so happy to have time to get outside and play with us. It was such a blessing for us to be able to love on some children for the day who have had rough lives and see them smile. Hopefully, we will be able to go visit them again.
Luke wore his Superman shirt because he thought the kids would like it. As soon as he got off of the bus, a boy ran up to him yelling "Superman, Superman!" Later, this boy, Dwayne asked Luke if he would come into the room where they were making name tags, so he could copy they Superman sign. He did a great job!


It's been a long time since I have ridden on a seesaw, but this sweet girl dragged me over to it and insisted that we ride! 

Adorable!




We loved seeing the joy so evident on their faces.

These two guys loved playing catch.


This cutie kept trying to get on the coaster bus to come home with us.


I hope you enjoyed seeing all of the pictures and getting a glimpse into the activities that we have here. I just feel so blessed to be able to take part in so many fun and rewarding activities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our First Apartment

Island Lessons

VSPCA Clinic