Island Lessons

As crazy as moving to a tiny Caribbean island was, I'm so grateful for all the experiences we had and all the things we learned.  Although it wasn't our original plan to end up there, it was God's plan. God knew we needed that time and those experiences.  

Here are a few things I learned:

♡ I learned not to take things for granted, even the little things. Before we moved to St. Vincent, I thought I was a pretty grateful person. When I arrived, my whole perspective changed. I no longer take electricity, hot water (or even water at all) for granted. Our hot water was solar powered, so when it rained all day, we didn't have hot water. Unfortunately, rainy days were the days when I really wanted a hot shower!

♡ Air conditioning is a beautiful thing. When we first arrived at the E.T. Joshua airport in St. Vincent, I was amazed at how small it was. There was no air conditioning in the stuffy area where we had to go through customs and get our bags. Everyone was hot and sweaty! Thankfully, in our apartment, we had air conditioning in our bedroom, but so many places don't have it. We got really used to just sweating most places we went.

♡ I learned to make do. We could make a grocery list, but sometimes we would only find a few things on the list. We would either have to go without, or I would create my own recipe to make the meals we wanted to make. We didn't have a car, so we either took the school vans, dollar vans, or simply walked.

♡ I learned to trust God like I never have before. When you have no money, are thousands of miles from anywhere familiar, and have no way of actually making plans for your future, you have to rely on God for everything. God is SO good and faithful to us. He took care of us, gave us things we didn't deserve, and led us to a wonderful church family!

Grace Community Baptist Church


♡ I learned to appreciate the beauty around me. St. Vincent is beautiful. From the varying shades of blue water to the waterfalls and breathtaking sunsets there was beauty all around us.


Looking out over Young Island from Ft. Duvernette (Rock Fort)

Upper Dark View Falls

Owia Salt Ponds

Lower Bay Beach, Bequia

Bequia


Villa Beach

Sun setting over Young Island


♡ I learned to take advantage of opportunities. In St. Vincent, we had opportunities available to us that we probably wouldn't have anywhere else. We were able to hike into a volcano crater and go scuba diving in waters that were so filled with different fish that I felt as if I was swimming in an aquarium. We swam with sea turtles and held sea turtles. We assisted at vet clinics and played with sweet children at the orphanage. We learned to live life to the fullest, and I'll always be so grateful for the experiences that we had and the memories we made.

La Soufriere 



Hiking down into the crater

That's the volcano smoking behind us.























We are so happy to be back in our home country, but I can't help missing our little island home from time to time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our First Apartment

VSPCA Clinic